Total Pageviews

Monday, January 10, 2011

So, what's happened lately???

           In the last few years I have sort of dropped out of sight, as far as public performance is concerned. This is a matter of great regret for me. For while I have always considered myself primarily a "recording artist", it has always been important part of the equation for me to get out there and meet the public.

          Before life's obligations and family changes overwhelmed, I was doing some local performing. For about a year and a half, I was involved in a local open mike night. Most of that time, I was hosting the events. How this came about was unexpected.
          I read about this gathering in the local paper, and it took awhile to both get up the nerve and get myself oriented to try to attend. I don't remember if I even brought my guitar the first time. 
I do remember, the first time I had it with me there was a snowstorm, and the only attendees were the cafe's owner, the host, myself and my wife.
         We listened while he played a few tunes, and he encouraged me to join in. I played a couple and he jammed along, but I was nervous and never really got comfortable that first time. The second time the host was absent, attendance was sparse, but I managed to get up and play a tune after a performance by the "substitute" host, a self-confessed sufferer of stage-fright.
       By the third time, neither host showed and I was elected host, a position I held for over a year. Gradually other artists who apparently had been there before and attended sporadically began to attend and I made their aquaintance.
       So my impression is that I got the job, not because I was the best musician there, but merely because I could be counted on to show up every time. The usual format was that I would get up and perform a set, each other artist would play a few tunes, then I would perform again inviting the others to play and sing along.
      Attendance was never steady, but we had a good number of times with plenty of talented artists and a full house in attendance. Many good times were had!

     Next time, I will relate other performing experiences from the same period of time....

No comments:

Post a Comment